Children in elementary school are at an age, ranging from around five to eleven, where they are very sensitive to the influences around. Herein, comes the role of the elementary teacher. A good teacher can help children to basically lay a strong foundation in learning so that they grow up to become successful individuals. Thus every elementary teacher should nurture a number of strategies which will help them to promote learning and increase their students’ thirst for knowledge. It is at this stage, that a teacher should really work towards guiding the student in building a solid interest towards education.
Let’s, travel through the landscape, of strategies that would help you become a good elementary teacher:
- CLARITY IN TEACHING – As a successful elementary teacher, explaining with clarity is the first and the foremost requirement. Clearly explaining the goals and purposes of any lesson; clarifying both during and before and after the lesson, is essential. Students tend to be inquisitive at this stage. Hence, students raising any kind of questions should be clearly answered by the teacher and this should be done with patience.
- CHUNKING METHOD – Chunking refers to teaching in small parts rather than teaching huge sections at one go. This is important because it is the ultimate way to test a student’s understanding and learning. This method allows the teacher to ask a lot of question after teaching that, in turn, helps in continuous assessment of the students and helps the teacher in engaging their attention better.
- INTERACTIVE SESSIONS – Interactive Sessions and Discussions are said to be one of the most effective methods of teaching. Asking questions to the students; clearly answering questions raised by students; encouraging them to ask questions and contribute, through their inputs; extensive discussion on lessons and topics;- are some of the ways in which elementary school teachers can promote interactive and discursive learning necessary for effective education.
- META COGNITIVE STRATEGIES – It is important, for students to develop an understanding of themselves as learners and to increase their awareness of their own thinking- this is called the process of meta-cognition. Students should be given the opportunity to plan and organize their own project; monitor their own work; self reflect and also build healthy social relationships with class mates and other people- these strategies of meta cognition should be extensively used by elementary teachers.
- SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENTS – Summative Assessments are also very important in any kind of learning. Summative Assessments usually take place at the end of the course meaning once or twice a year. Summative Assessments usually assess the mastery of learning standards. Thus mid-terms, end terms, chapter tests are a necessity that elementary teachers should always stress on.
- FEEDBACK – Feedback, both of the learning procedure and the teaching procedure, is essential and should be provided by every elementary teacher. Teachers should provide for both individual and whole group feedbacks on patterns that lead to, not only individual but collective growth of the class as a whole unit. Students should also be provided with an opportunity to give feedback with regard to the teaching procedure, so that as the teacher you can flexibly adjust your teaching process, the materials you provide and other instructions in accordance with the student’s need.
Thus, being an elementary teacher can be the most adventurous job, in contrary it can be difficult too and hence these strategies should work like magic for you.